Sunday, December 20, 2009

How do I Learn

Way back in Week 1 before I knew all I know now I had a limited perspective on how I learned. Originally I thought I was a visual learner - then decided it was a combination of cognitivism and constructivism with a dash of behavioral thrown in. Now I'm sitting on the fence of my Learning Theory Matrix feeling that I have been thrust in the middle of chaos - which lends itself to the Connectivism theory, however, as you will read further down I also reside in the Social Learning theory as well. Funny how the chaos theory felt like home and then I had collaborators online to talk about all of this with. I have always been more energized when my immediate surroundings - be they classroom, work or home - are somewhat out of the ordinary. Online learning was out of the ordinary for me a few months ago and it is quickly becoming my classroom of choice.

Yes, chaos is good in my world and in these muddy waters it is accompanied by the boundary of the Zone of Proximal Development. I need to be challenged mentally and hands-on. The mind-map assignment brought that home to me so clearly. I had to mentally get each idea plotted on the map using a tool I had never before experienced. I was stretched and challenged. It developed and ended in one of the most satisfying assignments I have had recently.

I'm very surprised at my ability to learn so well online, too. I have been advising others to learn online for almost 3 years and had no idea how really interesting and full of knowledge the online school would become. I'm challenged to read, research, accomplish hands-on exercises and the resultant amount of retained knowledge I have is startling. I feel more involved and 'part of' then in traditional school. Online adult learning composed of the social and connective learning theories really speaks to me now - and I've learned what that means, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment